I love a protein packed salad for lunch at this time of year. Especially one that is easy to prepare, or can be prepped in advance for you to take to work.
This one uses a tin of pink salmon and some cooked quinoa for your midday protein hit. If you’re not in a habit of eating protein at lunch, give it a try and see how much it keeps your afternoon hunger and the 3pm slump at bay.
Add some avocado and veggies for all round goodness and throw on a slurp of your favourite dressing, store-bought or homemade, whatever works for you.
The quantity below made enough for my lunch for 2 days. I just added some more avocado and the dressing on the second day.
Keeping tins of tuna or salmon in the pantry and cooking a few cups of quinoa at the beginning of the week, will mean you have your main ingredients ready to go each day. We all know that the secret to eating a good lunch or dinner is in a little advance thought and preparation.
I am looking forward to making a huge bowl of the this the next time a friend pops in and perches at the bench for a quick lunch.
- 1 cup cooked tri-colour Quinoa
- 185 gram tin of salmon or tuna
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 avocado, flesh diced
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- Lime Mint Dressing
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virign olive oil
- 1/4 lime juice (approx 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix gently.
- For the dressing, combine the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid, and shake well to combine.
- If making in advance, leave the avocado and dressing out and add just before eating.
- Cooked quinoa will last in the fridge for 3 days, covered in an airtight container.
- The dressing will last in the fridge for about a week, but the mint will lose it's colour and flavour over time. It is best used on the day it's made, or alternatively, leave the mint out and add to the dressing just prior to using.