I don’t know about you, but the memories of summer holiday fun are quickly fading as the term gets back underway.
The struggle is real for some in our house, as lazy slow mornings have given way to the school morning scramble.
On any given day I find myself at the breakfast bench whispering to myself ‘breathe, don’t yell, stay calm’ as we negotiate getting a sleepy teen moving and talk through the logistics of the day ahead with the family.
Sigh. I was never a yelling type….until I became a mother that is. And this year, 2018, is the year where I.WILL.YELL.LESS.
So. Here’s to less yelling in the mornings, making the school bus on time, getting to work not too frazzled and for another year, feeding our families and gathering together at the end of each day, however that looks.
There are some solutions and shortcuts for this busy season, like prepping lunches and dinner in advance, enter these yummy easy Meatballs! We can also outsource some house jobs, call in the family and friends cavalry from time to time to help out, but at the end of the day, there is no shortcut to raising our kids.
It happens one busy, crazy, noisy, messy day at a time. Some of those days we can High 5 ourselves on our patience, wisdom and general awesome-ness. On many many others, we just have to know it’s enough to keep showing up and be thankful for the mercies that come afresh every time the sun rises again.
Mums, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that we’re not going to get it right every time. I am staring down this new year already knowing it will be filled with imperfect parenting, disappointments and struggles for us and our kids.
But I stare it down knowing that God doesn’t make mistakes and in Him, I trust and rest in full confidence knowing that I am the best mum for my kids, this season of their life is in His hands, He knows the future and it’s not my job to worry endlessly about all that I can’t control. He loves our kids even more than we do, doesn’t that just blow you away?
So bring on 2018 – less yelling, more breathing, less worry, more trust, less of me and more of the one who holds the world and our kids in his hands.
- 1 kilogram pork and veal mince (if using beef mince, use a full fat variety otherwise they dry out)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried italian herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 700ml jar of passata (italian tomato cooking sauce)
- 1 cup of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- a generous splash of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve, parmesan cheese, parsley, pasta and steamed greens
- Combine mince, breadcrumbs, herbs and garlic in a bowl.
- Using hands, roll into small, evenly sized balls.
- Place remaining ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Add the meatballs and fit them in as snug as you can.
- It's okay if they are not all submerged, just give them a careful stir 1/2 way through cooking if that's the case.
- Place the lid on and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 on low. Take the lid off with 1/2 hour to go to let the sauce reduce a little.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan and parsley, pasta and steamed greens.
- Look for a passata or pasta sauce that has herbs added in to give the sauce extra flavour.
- If you use a plain one, add more dried or fresh herbs like oregano and thyme.
- This is the perfect make ahead meal as it's flavour develops in the fridge over a day.
- It also freezes well.